Skip to main content

For the Love of Maths


I was thrilled to learn that one Nigerian Professor, Professor Enoch Opeyemi of Federal University, Oye-Ekiti, has solved the 156-year-old Riemann Hypothesis. To put it in simple terms, this Hypothesis has to do with the distribution of prime numbers. Now for a more detailed explanation (http://www.jstor.org/stable/2323497?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents). 
However, at the International Conference on Mathematics and Computer Science in Vienna, Austria, this Professor declared he had solved it. 

The BBC and CNN took up the news, and as Nigerians, a warm glow was in our hearts. We were happy for one of our own and wanted to dance and jump for joy with him. Not only was there the prestige of being the first person to solve the problem that baffled the mathematical world for 156 years but there was also a massive financial award to go with it, a cool million US dollars. He said he had proved it to many of us when we remember our secondary school or A-level days. When we would get into arguments in mathematics, some in Geometry, Trigonometry, Calculus, Algebra, Chemistry, Physics, etc. … and we would go through the steps with our mates,

if x is equal to da, da, da
Then y would be this and that da, da, da…..
Therefore, consider this and that da, da, da
Hence, x will be be this da, da, da
Meaning da, da, da
Giving …… this and that
QED Quod Erat Demonstrandum 
Or if you wanted to be cocky …. Quite Easily Done.

Leaving the rest of the class to pour over your work in wonder, trying to find a mistake or trip you, and finally laughing with you and nodding their heads in agreement. So it would be that simple, wouldn’t it? All he needed to do was publish his paper for the world to scrutinise, inspect, analyse, dissect and study. But we are told that conditions must be fulfilled; he has to publish his solution in an “international repute” journal and then be accepted for two years within the mathematics community before it is even considered.

But it is not that easy, as many people claim to have solved RH in the past. And until today, none of them have stood the test of time. As of now, our Professor has yet to be able to satisfy the Clay Mathematics Institute (CMI) conditions, as it was said. According to their website, the problem remained “Unsolved” as of the 14th of December, 2015. http://www.claymath.org/millennium-...

Meanwhile, people in Nigeria are already pestering the Dear Prof for his millions. They are helping him spend the money he still needs to get.

Comments

  1. An update to above

    https://dailytrust.com/remember-enoch-opeyemi-who-claimed-to-have-solved-the-riemann-hypothesis/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The art of getting a good story - My headaches.

From my early teenage years, I have been suffering from migraine headaches. I can recall it as far back as my second year of secondary school. Now, I know it was related to stress and the things I was going through then. At that time, the headaches were so severe and frequent that I would be in so much pain that I would be admitted to the hospital on some occasions. I remember my parents sleeping outside my hospital ward, and my brothers and cousins following me to the hospital. But not surprisingly, because of the frequency of the headaches, they decided to do further investigations. Still, from the limited tests they did, for one reason or another, they could never pick up that it was not malaria, and I was suffering from migraine headaches. Throughout the time I was in secondary school, the symptomatology (the study of what a patient complains of in various diseases) of the headaches was such that they would start with an aura (a sensation or feeling before an attack of epilepsy or...

AI, Medicine and the Future

Every year, those of us who graduated from our medical school in a particular year set meet in different parts of the world for reunions, and occasionally we have an international reunion. This year's meeting was in Toronto, Canada, and I was asked to give a virtual presentation. I have given presentations at previous reunions and usually try to make them light, enjoyable and memorable. I intended to do the same this year, especially since I spoke about AI and its dangers at a previous meeting. However, as I prepared this presentation, something had changed. The people developing AI, including senior executives and researchers in the technology industry, were increasingly issuing warnings. Various whistleblowers, almost as if on cue, raised concerns about AI's dangers and called for strict, enforceable regulations and safeguards. Many of us might dismiss this as the usual scaremongering that accompanies technological advances. But this time, one cannot help wondering whether th...

Social Media, AI and the Decline of Reasoned Debate

Social media has fundamentally changed the nature of public debate. It is becoming increasingly difficult to have reasoned discussions on controversial topics because many users are exposed primarily to information that reinforces what they already believe. Recommendation algorithms, combined with AI-powered search and personalised content, create environments in which individuals repeatedly encounter viewpoints that confirm their existing opinions while filtering out or dismissing opposing evidence. Genuine dialogue becomes increasingly difficult when people are no longer sharing the same factual foundation. A further problem is that much of the most widely shared content is designed to evoke emotion rather than encourage understanding. Short videos, memes, headlines and clickbait often reduce complex political, scientific and historical issues to simplistic talking points. These are frequently produced by bloggers, influencers or commentators whose success depends on attracting atten...