Skip to main content

On a lighter tone

There is a male Nigeria celebrity that goes by the name Bobrisky. Born Okuneye Idris Olarenwaju in 1992, he paints a controversial figure, with his active social media persona which underwent a sudden metamorphosis and changed to a lighter version of his former self. Although there are some issues as regards his sexuality but that not what I am concentrating on now. Unlike the Western world, homosexuality is still consider a criminal offense in Nigeria. Although a lot of Nigerians are incredulous about sexuality in Nigeria, willing to believe that homosexuality is imported from the West. Also there are some religious undertones to what is seen as being unacceptable behavior in most developing conservative countries. It is thought that by some that Bobrisky and his kind are polluting the youth.
This is a social problem and one can assume those who bleach their skin do not feel "comfortable in their own skins". This might be due to the loss of confidence in themselves due to emotional or physical abuse. Micheal Jackson, should seen as a case study in this regard and his tragic and unfortunate life story as an example to those who ever thought about "toning". MJ did undergo emotional and physical abuse by his father and brothers, who just wanted to get out of poverty and saw MJ as a solution to their problems. This left him with "Financial problems, broken relationships, body dysmorphic disorder and countless cosmetic surgeries, drug abuse, and questionable if not criminal relationships with minors".

What I am concerning myself with is the fact that these skin lightening products may contain hydroquinone, corticosteroids or mercury. These may cause
1. skin turning dark or too light
2. thinning of the skin (this will cause problems if they are to operate on you, because it does not heal well)
3. visible blood vessels in the skin
4. scarring
5. kidney, liver or nerve damage.
6. abnormalities in a newborn baby (if used during pregnancy)
So what can we do about it, men should start looking at their darker sisters more - and avoid colorism. Colorism is the practice that those with lighter skin are treated more favorably than those with darker skin. As, the society has been wired to think that lighter is more beautiful. It is a colonial mentality, that we should avoid. Statements like - “she does look beautiful for a dark skin girl,” encourage such behavior although might be well intended cause a lot of insecurity in those children with darker skin. Women and men are made to feel inferior than their lighter skin counterparts.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The art of getting a good story - My headaches.

From my early teenage years, I have been suffering from migraine headaches. I can recall it as far back as my second year of secondary school. Now, I know it was related to stress and the things I was going through then. At that time, the headaches were so severe and frequent that I would be in so much pain that I would be admitted to the hospital on some occasions. I remember my parents sleeping outside my hospital ward, and my brothers and cousins following me to the hospital. But not surprisingly, because of the frequency of the headaches, they decided to do further investigations. Still, from the limited tests they did, for one reason or another, they could never pick up that it was not malaria, and I was suffering from migraine headaches. Throughout the time I was in secondary school, the symptomatology (the study of what a patient complains of in various diseases) of the headaches was such that they would start with an aura (a sensation or feeling before an attack of epilepsy or...

AI, Medicine and the Future

Every year, those of us who graduated from our medical school in a particular year set meet in different parts of the world for reunions, and occasionally we have an international reunion. This year's meeting was in Toronto, Canada, and I was asked to give a virtual presentation. I have given presentations at previous reunions and usually try to make them light, enjoyable and memorable. I intended to do the same this year, especially since I spoke about AI and its dangers at a previous meeting. However, as I prepared this presentation, something had changed. The people developing AI, including senior executives and researchers in the technology industry, were increasingly issuing warnings. Various whistleblowers, almost as if on cue, raised concerns about AI's dangers and called for strict, enforceable regulations and safeguards. Many of us might dismiss this as the usual scaremongering that accompanies technological advances. But this time, one cannot help wondering whether th...

Social Media, AI and the Decline of Reasoned Debate

Social media has fundamentally changed the nature of public debate. It is becoming increasingly difficult to have reasoned discussions on controversial topics because many users are exposed primarily to information that reinforces what they already believe. Recommendation algorithms, combined with AI-powered search and personalised content, create environments in which individuals repeatedly encounter viewpoints that confirm their existing opinions while filtering out or dismissing opposing evidence. Genuine dialogue becomes increasingly difficult when people are no longer sharing the same factual foundation. A further problem is that much of the most widely shared content is designed to evoke emotion rather than encourage understanding. Short videos, memes, headlines and clickbait often reduce complex political, scientific and historical issues to simplistic talking points. These are frequently produced by bloggers, influencers or commentators whose success depends on attracting atten...